I wish I knew these 9 tips before I started using social media for my church. The wild, wild west of social media can be overwhelming because there are just so many choices out there. I hope this post sets you up for social media success.Continue Reading...
Jesus as a Product from Church Marketing Sucks
Pastors who are uncomfortable marketing the church by Phil Cooke
Your Call is Important to Us. Yeah, Sure. by Gary Hamel
Don’t Just Market for Attention – Call for Devotion by Brandon Cox
For all you pixel lovers: Pixels attack new York
Elegant, witty, soulful.
I just love seeing talent, concept and execution maximised. Enjoy.
Just because I heart Football – and yes, the world cup IS coming
What is your favourite post/video of the week? Leave a link in the comments and a short comment on why you like it.
Yo, yo, yo, wassup.
I blogged yesterday how you can get out of the communications rut and tell the same story in an original and imaginative way. (I'm trying to live it out with my blog headlines and the way I write at the moment)
This TV advert for Toyota (below) presents the wagon in a original and imaginative way. (As a parent who owns one, I will now from this day forth call my Toyota bus, my 'swagger wagon') This ad cut through the usual safety, boring people moving advert stereotypes that car companies create. Sure it had lots of product feature shots of the new car, but it made me feel differently about my ride.
It made me:
1) Laugh out loud.
2) B proud of mo swagger wagon rather than think of it as a bus.
3) Imagine myself pimping the bad a$* song with my homies (wife and kids).
Forgive me. The rap lingo is just contagious.
Simply put, Toyota retold the story in a fresh and imaginative way. They got out of the rut.
How are you approaching your communications? Is it in the same way each time? Can you get your creative communications swagger on? that yo mamma can dig?
What would you like to do differently? Drop in a comment and see what happens!
(In lame rap gangsta speak)
Word. This ad is da bomb. Made me wanna get some of that mo of that strategy booty for ma communications crew.
Do you find it hard to think of innovative ways to communicate? To move beyond the obvious?
I know I do.
I saw this tweet from Michael Buckingham check out the brilliant picture above.
To stand out from the crowd. To cut through the noise of life sometimes we have to change the way we communicate to our intended audience.
It's not surprising that the young lady Michael's son asked out on the prom said yes (smart girl). Maybe because he's a great looking, funny, smart young man. Or maybe its because he got innovative and entreprenurial in his thinking and broke the mold.
4 creative steps to think outside the shell:
- Review and measure the effectiveness of your communication. Are people signing up/on?
- Is your primary audience's next step clear? Refine and review how it is working.
- Are you asking the question the in the same way as everybody else? How can you say it differently?
- Brainstorm 'out of the box' ways to communicate the same proposition. Here is one example.
- Do it in a medium your audience would never expect. Do your church video news live as a SNL skit for example.
Is your church stuck in a communications rut?
How is your church breaking the mold in its communications?
What innovative techniques are you using to break out the mold?
I'd love to hear what you think.
If you are like me and are charged with the weighty responsibility of managing communications around your church, managing your bulletin or any publication can be a test anyones nerves. You will know sinking feeling when the knock comes on your door and the "there's a mistake" For the rest of you enjoy at our suffering.
Yes. One of the top ten is mine and in there (we did catch it in the final proofing). Can you guess which one it is? Leave a comment and I'll announce the winner on Monday 17th May. The winner gets a three dictionary. (I couldn't resist). The winner actually gets a free spell chicker (there I go again). There is no prize. Its just good fun.
1) Don't let worry kill you – let the church help.
2) There has never been a better time to invite your fiends to church.
3) The Senior Choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.
4) Evening massage - 6 p.m.
5) Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 to 8:30 p.m. Please use the back door.
6) At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What is Hell?" Come early and listen to our choir practice.
7) The 2003 Church Retreat will be hell May 10 and 11.
8) ''Weight Watchers'' will meet at 7pm in the church hall. Please use large double door at the side entrance.
9) Please remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community.
10) Prophecy conference cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
Sunday's Coming (If You Are Involved In Church You'll Love This)